[ZF] Status update for documents

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Mon Apr 23 12:53:44 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Montag, den 23.04.2007, 11:53 -0400 schrieb Jim Fulton:
> Thanks.  Editorial process note: Please refrain from refilling
> paragraphs.  Diff doesn't handle reformatting paragraphs well. (Open
> Office handles tracking text changes much better.)  I believe you
> even refilled a paragraph without making other changes. :/

Ok, I generally try to not do that, maybe I didn't notice when I made
that change. Sorry.

> [...]
> contributors because many contributors are not contributor members
> and, as written the documents link membership and repository access.
> In addition, we'd lose the ability to grant access to the repository
> to new contributors.
>
> We want to separate repository access from membership.  This means we
> need a process for granting access to the repository.  I think the
> process should be the following:
>
> - The committer signs (and has their employer sign) and committer
> agreement.
>
> - The committer agreement is presented to the repository-management
> committee who, at their discretion, grants access.
>
> - The repository-management committee can grant or deny repository
> access at their discretion, except that:
>
>    o Their decisions can be appealed to the board
>
>    o They serve at the pleasure of the board.
>
> Something like the above should be written down.
>
> The repository-management committee can develop additional processes
> as they see fit as long as they are consistent with what's written down.
>

> > - The original ZMO had quite a few responsibilities and
> >   properties. I'd like to boil them down.
> >
> >   The original list was:
> >
> >   - directed and established by the chairman? (rather not, better ...)
> >   - leading the zope platform development and
> >   - execution, definition and maintenance a development process
> >   - produce a roadmap
> >   - interact with standards organisations
> >   - resolve conflicts, establish working groups
> >   - provide development infrastructure
> >   - ensure the use of open source rules of engagement
> >   - enforce foundation policies and provisions (bylaws, membership
> > agreement, ip policy and other policy documents)
> >   - interact with membership at large by providing zope platform
> > plans, status updates and by soliciting requirements and feedback
> >   - (conducting academic and research community outreach)
> >    ­ (conduct zope platform marketing)
> >   - (assure the availability of enablement services, including
> > education and training programs)
> >
> >   As the development committee should work on making Zope (and Co)
> > better, I don't think it should do:
> >
> >   - do marketing
> >   - do enablement services
> >   - enforce foundation policies
> >
> >  Maybe some of the other points can collapsed a bit to be less
> >  verbose?
>
> At this point I'd be for getting rid of the ZMO entirely.   We can
> always add something like it later of we decide we want it. IMO, this
> should be community driven.  IOW, if the membership decides we need
> more formality in the development process, the membership should
> propose something.
>
> Also, remember that other documents will need to be modified.
>
> Finally I'll issue that this is the most urgent issue with the
> documents that needs to be fixed. There are others, but they are not
> as urgent.  For example, we lack a process for inviting new committer
> members.  We should address issues like these in follow-on efforts.

Ok, thanks for the explanations. I'll go ahead and:

- Create the repository committee as drafted above
- Drop the unfinished paragraph that transformed the ZMO into a
committee an get rid of that entitity entirely.

Christian