[ZF] LWN: Fedora7 dropping Zope due to Python 2.5 incompatibility

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat May 12 16:04:04 EDT 2007

Hi there,

On 5/11/07, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> On May 11, 2007, at 8:14 AM, Andreas Jung wrote:
[snip]
> > This is neither a task  for the foundation nor is it an issue in
> > general.
> > We've always skipped Python versions in past (we had no support for
> > Python 1.6, 2.0, 2.2). As I said earlier: there is no need to jump
> > on any train.
>
> That is a valid opinion for you personally.  You don't care much
> about this and I have a similar opinion.  As I mentioned earlier,
> there were other issues I found more urgent or interesting.  Other
> people *do* care about this.  The Foundation might be a place to
> raise and coordinate responses to issues like this.

I think Jim makes a good point in that this is a place that the
Foundation could play a useful role. It should only play this role if
indeed the foundation's membership think this important and is willing
to help in one way or another to make it a reality. We could also
think about possibly small steps to take that helps us prepare for new
python versions.

As I tried to say before, I understand why Zope isn't using python
2.5, and it's totally understandable. I don't care all that much about
Python 2.5 support either right now. It'd be nice to have.

The negative publicity for Zope I care more about. It is unfortunate
that we do now have Zope coming in the news for this reason - this is
not going to give people the impression Zope is a hip, up to date
piece of software.

How much do we as a community care about it? We could decide it's less
than ideal and just deal with any negative publicity that may come up.

I think the Foundation could also play a useful part in helping people
consider these issues before they become news, so that at least they
don't just happen to us, but we decide this consciously instead.

Regards,

Martijn