[ZF] Proposal: Launchpad code hosting for ZF projects; free commercial support for migration

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 13:52:34 EST 2009

Most of you were probably around back when we transitioned from CVS to SVN.

Before the transition, some developers complained about having to
learn Yet Another Tool to do what they already did successfully with
CVS.

After the transition, some people still complained of the same thing,
as well as not having a properly working ViewSVN to replace the
ViewCVS app which worked correctly.

And yet, overall, the switch was huge net win, as we managed to work
much more effectively with branches and directory management than we
could with CVS, and the true problems we faced after the migration
were eventually resolved, like the ViewSVN one.

And that migration was done entirely on volunteer time.

I'm not claiming moving to Launchpad is necessarily going to be a net
win for the Zope community, but I suggest we carefully evaluate this
offer on the "net win" criteria alone, and not on an eventual vocal
minority, whether for or against it, even if in the end we have some
drawbacks from adopting it.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, Leo