[ZF] Jan Smith - Zope Foundation board statement

Jan Smith jan at curpheymedia.com
Wed Feb 3 06:07:44 EST 2010

Hi All

I live in Melbourne Australia and am the Coordinator of OzZope the
Australian Zope Users Group (since 2001). Although OzZope no longer holds
regular meetings the mailing
list<http://lists.ozzope.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ozzope>is a good
place for local companies looking for Zope expertise and for
developers looking for Australian based Zope and Plone jobs. Current
membership of the OzZope mailing list is 142 people.

As coordinator in the past year I've helped:

o  companies looking for local Zope/Python developers
o  a European based Zope/Python developer get a visa and work in Australia
o  helped an overseas Zope company with their tender for a large Australian
utility
o  found reviewers for Python based books for the UK publishers Packt Pub
o  via the mailing list I've encouraged and seeded debate on handling
ignorant managers and cowboy developers within an organisation.

In December I wrote a guide for editors of the
http://computerbank.org.au/website.

I run a part time business maintaining and hosting Plone websites for a
handful of clients.  I am in the happy position of being semi retired after
decades in the full time workplace.

The Zope Foundation Board interests me because I care about quality open
source software.  While I am not a Python developer I have an engineering
background. For many years I worked in broadcast engineering as a technical
operator and later as a journalist at the Australian Broadcasting
Corporation. For the past 5 years I was Vice President of Computerbank.
Computerbank uses volunteers to recycle donated computers with open source
software and then distribute them to the disadvantaged.

Further information about me at: http://curpheymedia.com/

Regards,

Jan Smith
Director