[ZF] Repository choice: Please indicate your preference until Sunday 9/23

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Sep 17 10:46:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As most of you know, we have had a long-running discussion on the Zope developer mailing list about switching the version control software away from the current Subversion and possibly hosting it somewhere else. To move forward, the board of directors has decided to distil the various trains of thought from the discussion into a simpler set of choices and get a hopefully broad set of input, consisting of an informal foundation membership "straw poll" on this mailing list. At the bottom of this email you will find the requirements[1] the board has used to come up with these choices and the board recommendation. To avoid any further delays the simple poll is all this mail is supposed to kick off, not another long line of arguments for or against specific solutions. You have all week long to reply, I would like to "close" this informal poll this coming Sunday (September 23) and would then present the results.
>
> Before I introduce the three choices as well as the board's own official recommendation please note the following: This is an informal vote that you can join by simply sending your reply to this mailing list (foundation at zope.org), or sending a new mail. There's no specific format you have to follow as long as it is easy to see which choice you like best. Saying "I don't like any of these choices" is a valid answer as well.
>
> The choices are:

> 2) GitHub only: The foundation will create writable GitHub repositories under the "zopefoundation" GitHub name. Every contributor must then open a GitHub account and we'll try to map current contributors to those GitHib accounts (the details haven't been fully planned)

I prefer #2.

I'd also like to suggest another requirement:

- Automated support for software review.

  For individual projects, I'd like to see an small number
  of people with write access and have others provide updates
  through pull requests.

In general, I think we should aim higher than simple repository access
and consider features like software review and integrated issue tracker.
We shouldn't implement features like these ourselves if they are available
in good existing tools.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton