[ZF] Repository choice: Please indicate your preference until Sunday 9/23

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Sep 18 16:03:38 UTC 2012

Hi there,

I prefer #2, github only. If not #2, then #1, and finally #3.

A distributed version control system offers some complexity to the
requirement that write access is only by signed contributor. This
because someone who hasn't signed a contributor agreement can start a
fork of a project and then do a pull request. Someone who has signed
the agreement can then merge the fork. But the code was in fact
contributed by someone who hasn't signed any agreement. This pattern
is a very common way people contribute to git projects, especially on
github which makes forking and pull requests very easy.

In the past we've had manual patches of this nature, but these are
generally quite small so there are less copyright concerns.

So are we going to require anyone who offers a pull request has signed
the contributor agreement before it is merged? If so, how are people
easily going to find out that someone offering a pull request has
signed said agreement? If this is hard, that'll retard merges or might
result in merges that haven't been validated.

As an aside this bureaucracy retards contribution. Whether this
matters much in this stage of Zope's evolution I don't know.

As another aside, I prefer mercurial to git, though github has some
features over bitbucket.

Regards,

Martijn