[ZF] A couple of github issues

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Feb 6 18:19:15 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31/01/2013 23:14, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>> There are a couple of issues we need to address:
>>
>> 1. In github, developers can't create repos.
>

> Not one I've hit, but who can? Organisation owners? If so, why not make more
> people them?

https://help.github.com/articles/what-are-the-different-access-permissions

See if you can figure this out. :) To many of us, this looks like
"push" teams don't have enough access and "admin" teams have too much.
Some people say we're misinterpreting the roles. Matt Wilkes kindly
offered to dig into this some more and do some experiments. I look
forward to hearing back from him.

>>     There are a number of ways to mitigate this.  I'll throw some out
>>     for discussion:
>>
>>     - use bitbucket which has saner permissions (or try to get github
>>       to fix their permissions)
>

> I have to be honest, having just done a multi-month code review and patch
> process for integrating the xlrd pull request for Python 3 support*, I would
> be really sad to see us lose out on the amazing code review and interaction
> features that GitHub offers...

I think bitbucket has pretty much the same features.  I know there are
features that bitbucket has that github lacks (e.g. side-by-side
diffs) and it's likely that github has features bitbucket lacks.
bitbucket definately has a review process, including line-by-line
comments.

>>     - Switch to a more course-grained repository-management strategy,
>>       managing multiple Python projects in a single git repo.
>

> That doesn't feel right..

I agree.

>. although it is effectively what we had with svn.

No. In svn, you could easily checkout a small part of a large repo.
That's the way svn is used. No one is expected to checkout the whole
repo.

In git (and hg), you have to clone and then check out the entire
repo.  You can't even have multiple checkouts from the same clone
(without extreme measures).

> My gut feel is there should be one repo per python package.

Mine too, but we have an annoying problem that we have to solve
somehow.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton