[Fredericksburg-ZPUG] Christian Theune opportunity: two February ZPUGs? Reschedule ZPUG?

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Jan 31 11:40:11 EST 2006

Hi all.  Do you want to hear about Zope 3 and Common Criteria
certification, or ZODB blob support, from Christian Theune?  I want
to know so I can figure out how to schedule our February ZPUGs.

Here's more detail.

Christian Theune, an active member of the Zope community, is planning
on being in our area soon--but not in time for our next ZPUG meeting,
February 8.  He could have some interesting things to talk about,
though.

In particular, he is leading an effort to get Zope 3 Common Criteria
certified.  The Common Criteria is an international security
evaluation program for software, based on US, Canadian, and European
standards (more information at the bottom of this email).  Christian
would talk about this process and ask for feedback and ideas about
the C2 certification of Zope 3.

Christian is also working with one of our ZPUG attendees, Chris
McDonough, to add blob support to the Zope Object Database (ZODB),
which essentially makes working with large blobs in the ZODB more
efficient.  He might also be able to talk about progress in this effort.

We already have the following topics scheduled for our Feb. 8
meeting: O'Reilly's "Twisted" book review by Benji York; a talk
involving both Twisted and Mac OS X by Zac Bir; and a talk involving
Twisted and Zope 3 by Gary Poster.

I want to know who is interested in hearing Christian talk.  I can do
one of three things, depending on the reply from the list:

- Reschedule the ZPUG to Feb. 15, and postpone one or two of the
Twisted talks.

- Have two 7:30 PM ZPUGs, one on Feb. 8 as scheduled and one on Feb.
15 for Christian's topics.

- Have the usual Feb. 8 ZPUG, and have an additional afternoon or
early evening talk with Christian that would be a more friendly
schedule for Zope Corporation employees.  ZPUG members would be
welcome, but I'd choose this primarily if noone outside of Zope
Corporation expressed interest.

Do you want to hear about Zope 3 and Common Criteria certification,
or ZODB blob support from Christian Theune?

Please let me know, either on-list or off.

Gary

More information about Common Criteria:

http://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/

The Common Criteria represents the outcome of efforts to develop
criteria for evaluation of IT security that are widely useful within
the international community. It is an alignment and development of
a number of source criteria: the existing European, US and
Canadian criteria (ITSEC, TCSEC and CTCPEC respectively). The
Common Criteria resolves the conceptual and technical differences
between the source criteria. It is a contribution to the development
of an international standard, and opens the way to worldwide
mutual recognition of evaluation results.