[Grok-dev] Menu system

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Fri Oct 20 13:12:47 EDT 2006

I had another thought after writing my last mail:

It comes down a bit to terminology:

- In GUIs, menu items are used to trigger a callback function. They
typically do not have state that shows they have been called.

- In web sites, we normally have something that is called "navigation".
There, navigation entries allow us to select a URL and see where we are
(by checking whether we're on the same page as the navigation entry
would bring us to)

I think current Zope 3 menus mix this up a bit so we have a problem
defining what they do in simple language. Maybe by splitting those
responsibilities up a bit, we can achieve two simple solutions for
different tasks?

(Obviously web applications are a mixture between normal web sites and
GUIs, but maybe this idea was helpful.)

Christian