[Grok-dev] Re: layers and skins

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Apr 20 03:32:25 EDT 2007

Maurits van Rees wrote:
> I took a look anyway and it turned out to be a mail from someone who
> had tried out eXtremeManagement.  He was not pleased to find that it
> had installed a skin in his Plone site, which apparently messed his
> site up.  And could I at least mention this in the ReadMe please.
>
> I thought to myself: "Doesn't *every* Plone product have its own
> skin?"  With that I really meant a layer or maybe layers. In practical
> terms: one or more directories within the skins/ dir of the product,
> ending up as layers (fantastically called 'skin layers') in
> portal_skins, where themes can put them is their list of layers in a
> spot of their choosing.

As you mention correctly, one of the problems in CMF/Plone terminology
is that "skin" usually means "skin layer". The reason for this is
probably that the naming convention for that directory is "skins", not
"layers", as you also point out.

Another, much bigger problem is that Plone's biggest *extension
mechanism* is the portal_skins tool and the absence of a default layer
that's accessible to anyone.

Zope 3 packages rarely have to define their own layer even if they have
browser views to contribute. What do they do? They simply register
things for the default layer. Normally, views are registered for
specific objects anyway, so they won't appear all over the place (like
they would in CMF).