[Grok-dev] Re: Attn Philipp - nudge-nudge

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Tue Apr 24 17:52:17 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 14:55 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Darryl Cousins wrote:
> > Hey Philipp,
> >
> > On Debian, I only got the nudge-nudge buildout to install successfully
> > after:
> >
> > apt-get libxml2-dev libxslt-dev
> >
> > Is that worth putting in your install.txt? My initial research on
> > problems installing lxml pointed to recent versions of libxml2 and
> > libxslt and it was only after some hunting that I picked up on the
> > requirement of the devel packages.
>
> Yeah. Unfortunately binary eggs on linux are not recommended, due to a
> variety of issues, including the UCS2/UCS4 issue. The source package is
> installed and this requires a compile. lxml depends on libxml2 and
> libxslt (includin their header files).
>
> Should be documented.

I believe 'including their header files' to be the important point and
was what I was missing before I installed the dev packages. Otherwise,
there is a lot of doucmentation about.

> The alternative is a buildout that builds libxml2 & friends itself.

Yep. I did find Infrae's buildout to do just that (from your blog
Martijn - thanks). I haven't used it but I shall keep it in mind.

https://svn.infrae.com/buildout/lxml-recent/

Best regards,
Darryl