[Grok-dev] Re: mars work, grok development

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Sun Aug 12 03:47:07 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 18:53 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Some question about mars.layer: how do views know that they're in a
> layer? Do I have to use mars.view?

The views don't know. Views are multi-adapters to context and layer.
grok.View is registered to IDefaultBrowserLayer, mars.layer checks class
or module directive for a layer to register to (defaulting to
IDefaultBrowserLayer).

mars.layer is identical to Kevin's layer branch IIRC. I'm suprised
no-one has had a need for it.

> I see your mars work looks a bit like what I envisioned for the
> eventual 'grokcore' work, where we split up grok into packages that
> then get pulled into a 'grok' package.

I think you may have mentioned something like that and though I began
working in a branch it felt best to be apart. I named the namespace mars
for obvious reasons. "Working from mars" (thanks Kevin).

I found that when I was in the swing of tfws.website I quickly become
comfortable configuring the components without touching a zcml file. I'm
looking forward to getting back to it.

> I do see you base your work on various z3c packages. Perhaps you
> should tell me more (or the list) about the motivations behind some of
> these packages? I'd certainly be interested!

I would need more time to attempt that. I hope that I shall do in the
near future.

> What are your thoughts about merging some of this work into the grok
> core? What should come first? I'm of course especially interested in
> the layer work, as I would like to reuse some of it for the REST work.

I think that mars reintroduces configuration back into the picture that
doesn't sit well with the convention over configuration mantra. Most of
mars came to being to reproduce z3c.formdemo so it naturally follows
presentation patterns developed by the z3c crew. Bless their talented
hearts. I trust their work and I continue to be comfortable with the
solutions they have come up with. (Historically the first 3rd party
packages I played with were the `tiks` packages).

Kevin's layer branch should definitely find its way into the core.

Best regards,
Darryl