[Grok-dev] Re: Keeping indexes up to date

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Aug 13 14:17:41 EDT 2007

On 13 Aug 2007, at 14:10 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I was not discussing this particular case. In many cases this is going
> to be fairly easy to accomplish. In other cases it's going to make the
> developer think quite hard - importing the contents of an object from
> XML may be an example. Any code that isn't form-driven is going to be
> an example. We'd be asking people to think extra hard, write more
> code, and so on, while it likely has *no* effect on their system
> whatsoever. The catalog indeed *completely* ignores this information.

Right now it does ignore, but I've tried to write a catalog that
performs better by NOT ignoring this information (in the end it
couldn't be done because zope.formlib and others, alas, don't send
the info).

Also, the catalog is just one possible subscriber. The idea of events
is that they're a great way to separate concerns. You're making
assumptions about other concerns by arguing that the information is
useless.

> This is inviting people to do cargo-cult programming: "yeah, I put
> this in as I saw it in other code and I have no idea why but it
> works."

Oh please. This is a matter of documentation. And in the worst case,
they won't send along the information, so that all subscribers will
have take their best guess and e.g. rebuild all indexes, UI elements,
etc...