[Grok-dev] admin ui: displaying application docstrings

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Aug 18 14:19:00 EDT 2007

Hi there,

I'm doing work on the grok trunk which means I get confronted with the
admin UI.

Adding an application has the following text:

   grokwiki.wiki.Wiki

     This is our wiki application wich contains all wiki pages.

I noticed a typo in 'wich' which caused me to start hunting for that
text. It turns out to be the docstring of the Wiki application object.

I'm not sure whether displaying the docstring in the UI is a very good
idea. When we wrote that docstring we certainly weren't thinking it
would be displayed, which is why 'which contains all the wiki pages' was
written - this is mostly an implementation detail.

So is using docstrings a good idea for this? Perhaps we should start
thinking about a mechanism where we can declare admin UI visible texts
for Grok objects (applications in particular, but perhaps other aspects
of the admin UI also need this). I imagine this could be related to Zope
3's menu mechanism.