[Grok-dev] Re: The Grok Learning Curve

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Mon Aug 20 14:59:26 EDT 2007

Darryl Cousins <darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz> writes:

> The term `recipes` appears to have stuck (that was my +1), if no
> -1's in the next week I'll edit grok/trunk/doc/* and www accordingly
> and also move `minitutorials` on svn to `recipes`.

-1

I prefer "tutorial" to "recipe", because a "recipe" usually means
something written for an expert.  The term "recipe" comes from
cooking.  A recipe assumes you know already what it means to "chop",
"dice", "mix", "bake", "fillet", and so forth, and is essentially a
way that one expert can communicate to another expert the particulars
of making a particular dish.  But you cannot learn to cook through a
series of recipes.

A document, on the other hand, that helps a new cook learn how to
"bake", and explains everything about what "baking" accomplishes and
the different ways to "bake", would *not* be a recipe.  It might even
be called a "tutorial". :-)