[Grok-dev] Re: grok.Permission and grok.Role

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 13:34:34 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> I apologize if this feedback comes a bit late, though I guess it's not
> too late to potentially change anything.
>
> In grok we use mostly use classes to define and register components. The
> class we create is the component and the fact that it inherits from a
> special base class gets it registered. If grok needs additional hints
> for the registration, we use directives a la grok.name().
>
> All this is violated by grok.Permission and grok.Role. When I create a
> new permission, like so,
>
>   class MyPermission(grok.Permission):
>       grok.name('grok.MyPermission')
>       grok.title('My permission!')
>       grok.description('...')
>

> the newly created class is actually not an IPermission. Furthermore,
> it's not an instance of *this* class that gets registered as an
> IPermission utility, it's an instance of a completely separate class. So
> the class I've created is a completely dead chicken. The same applies to
> roles.
>

> Judging from the experience that I have with grok.GlobalUtility, but
> also with any other elementary grok component, I would at least expect
> to be able to exercise the IPermission interface (or IRole interface,
> respectively):
>
>   permission = MyPermission()
>   print permission.id
>   print permission.title
>   print permission.description
>
> This brings us to how we can define permissions: we can simply fill out
> the IPermission interface on the class:
>
>   class MyPermission(grok.Permission):
>       id = 'grok.MyPermission'
>       title = 'My permission!'
>       description = '...'
>

> You might argue that we now no longer use the grok.name() etc.
> directives. I don't consider this a disadvantage. After all, they're
> supposed to be *extra hints* for the grokker to do creation and
> registration. If the object already inherently contains this
> information, I think it's much more valuable to have it with the object
> in the manner that's meaningful and described by the object's API
> (IPermission and IRole in this case).

This actually illustrates a principle that I try to tell people - e.g.
my co-workers - when they're using Grok: "Never forget you're actually
developing with Zope-3 and you're learning its API, where Grok makes
certain things easier"

So, yes, this is valuable feedback and I wished we realized this
earlier. I have only myself to blame for not looking a bit further into
Zope's idea of permission objects and role objects (and not having
looked at the other Grok components).

Since there's no released version of Grok with this feature I think we
can change all we want in this regard.

I *hope* I can dedicated a bit of time next week to refactor, if noone
else has the opportunity.

regards,
jw