[Grok-dev] Grok and PostgreSQL, where do I start?

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Tue Dec 18 13:33:51 EST 2007

Peter Bengtsson <peter at fry-it.com> writes:

> Are there any documention on this yet?
> If not, where do I start?

When I want to use PostgreSQL from Grok, I always use SQLAlchemy
through the "zalchemy" connector that Christian Theune maintains, and
use as documentation an email that I wrote to this list back in August
(and which I plan to format as a tutorial just as soon as we have that
new Grok web site up, which should be any day now):

   http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/grok-dev/2007-August/001901.html

Note that if you're using SQLAlchemy 0.4, like me, because you can't
live without some of the new features, then the default "zalchemy"
you'll get from the PyPI egg won't work (it won't ever commit your
transactions automatically, at least).  The best candidate that I know
of for a 0.4-compatible zalchemy exists at:

   http://svn.zope.org/z3c.zalchemy/branches/darrylcousins-sqlalchemy04-experiment/

which you'll have to svn:external into your project as a buildout.cfg
development-egg until Christian decides the way forward for official,
eggified 0.4 compatibility.  (Since SQLAlchemy 0.3 and 0.4 are simply
incompatible APIs, I've advocated he just create a "zalchemy04" so
that old zalchemy users still on 0.3 don't get broken by the egg
upgrading to 0.4-compatible code; but I haven't heard back from him
about what, exactly, he plans to do.)

Again, I hope to have better documentation up as soon as there's a new
web site to place it on.