[Grok-dev] Apache support for Grok (was: Re: template syntax)

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Jan 10 16:24:35 EST 2007

Carlos de la Guardia wrote:
> hi, very good to see that the project is advancing. I made a mention of
> this on my blog
> (http://blog.delaguardia.com.mx/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=73&blogId=1
> <http://blog.delaguardia.com.mx/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=73&blogId=1>).

Yes, I saw your blog entries. It's very good to get the word out, thank
you very much!

> I thought it would be interesting to share with you part of a comment I
> received:
>
> "However, for me the biggest hinderance in using zope3 to build even
> small sites/apps is the lack of good documentation on how to deploy
> zope3 apps on shared hosting with mod_python/fastcgi."
>
> Since I am going to play around with Grok anyway, I think if you give me
> some pointers on how you think this can be done I can document it for
> Grok. Maybe WSGI?

Great that you're interested in looking into this! It would be very nice
to have a solution for this indeed.

The best pointer I have right now is my work on making Grok work with
the CherryPy WSGI server. Perhaps this can be adapted into mod_python or
fastcgi.

Here is the blog entry about my work:

http://faassen.n--tree.net/blog/view/weblog/2006/11/29/0

I think one of the biggest challenges will be to make the ZODB work in
such a multi-process environment - ZEO is perhaps called for.

Philipp long ago (pre-WSGI I believe) worked on something called
mod_zope to hook Zope 3 into Apache I do not know what state it is in,
but Philipp may be able to tell you more about it. Here is more
information on that:

http://codespeak.net/z3/modzope/