[Grok-dev] Re: Mini tutorials

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jul 5 09:52:37 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> Humbly... I suggest the following guidelines when writing mini tutorials.
>
> A mini tutorial is a primer to get a newbie started with a component or
> a pattern.
>
> -Keep them short (5-10 min read)
> -Include working code samples
> -Focus on a single component/pattern
> -Only explain the basics, but still making it useful immediately
> -Give reference to further reading
>
> These mini tutorials could turn into a repository of patterns and
> practices. I would personally have saved A LOT of time if I had had such
> examples. I think many newbies like to copy and tweak existing code. It
> would also reduce the support effort for the community since it narrows
> the errors newbies make.

It's good to have some guidelines for tutorials, so thank you for them.

I'd like to add to this though. The general guideline should be: if you
want to write a tutorial or howto, please do! If they're too long, too
short, broken, badly written, they're still better than *no* tutorials,
and we can always clean up later.

The people working on the "proper" tutorial can go through the mini
tutorials and integrate interesting material over time, too, cleaning it
up in the process.