[Grok-dev] debugging into eggs

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Jul 18 16:52:14 EDT 2007

Hi there,

Since the new grokproject switched over to eggs, eggs are a lot more
common. Debugging into eggs might confuse your pdb in some cases. I
asked around and I got a workaround others might be interested in:

* go into your eggs directory (/your/home/buildout-eggs)

* do: find ./ -name "*.pyc" | xargs rm

After this restarting your zope should make your pdb work again.

I hope eventually the powers that be will fix setuptools or buildout or
whatever so that this is unnecessary. Apparently setuptools compiles the
.pyc files in another directory than where they end up when they're
being run, and this causes the path information in them to be incorrect,
confusing pdb.