[Grok-dev] Re: eggs-directory and grokproject

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jul 25 14:19:58 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I just realized that by generating eggs-directory in a buildout to a
> /home/<user>/buildouts-eggs directory, buildout.cfg contains hardcoded
> paths to someone's home directory. That isn't a very good thing to check
> in.
>
> Any ideas on how to avoid this?

I think Luciano's suggestion is sensible: We should simpyl tell people
about ~/.buildout/default.cfg.

The behaviour of zopeproject/grokproject could then be altered to:

* check if there's a default setting in ~/.buildout/default.cfg

* if there's a default setting and the user simply takes that (by
pressing return), buildout.cfg won't get a eggs-directory setting (but
perhaps a comment instead mentioning that the default setting will be used).

* if there's a default setting but the user chooses to enter a different
directory, buildout.cfg will have the necessary eggs-directory setting.

* if there's no default setting, zopeproject/grokproject will suggest a
sensible eggs directory (e.g. ~/buildout-eggs) and buildout.cfg will
have the necessary eggs-directory setting.