[Grok-dev] Re: Another sample app: Animal Tree

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jun 12 15:51:29 EDT 2007

Luciano Ramalho wrote:
> On 6/12/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> I'd like these example applications to be in svn.zope.org. I think the
>> best would be a special grok example sections in the toplevel SVN, with
>> separate buildouts for both projects under them.
>
> OK, I need to learn how to setup a buildout. I'll do some research,
> and ask here if I am lost.

Okay. Hint: look at what grokproject produces.

Automatic buildouts are really helpful when doing team development, and
I also find them encourage larger amounts of reuse between applications.
It used to be that each Python package a system depends on would make
installation that much harder, and make the installation instructions
that much more complicated. Now, with distutils, setuptools,
easy_install and finally buildout, this is becoming a lot easier.

A note of warning: Grok buildouts are still a moving target, as we're
moving towards an eggified version of Zope 3 and Grok. Whatever
grokproject produces is the current practice, however. Just expect it to
change in the near future.