[Grok-dev] What is an application?

Tim Terlegård tim at se.linux.org
Sun Mar 11 11:28:51 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I just created something very simple with grok. A question was raised.

What is an application in the grok world? My initial thought was that
it must be the site, the root container. I guess it is a site, but it
doesn't seem to be a container. I can't do a view like:

    class CreateSomething(grok.View):
        grok.context(grok.Application)

        def update(self):
	    container = IWriteContainer(self.context)
            container['someid'] = Folder()

I tried changing app.py so my app inherited from grok.Container instead of
grok.Model, then it worked much better. I checked the grok source code
and grok.Application inherits from Site. In pure zope3 I can adapt a
site to IFolder or IWriteContainer, but in grok I can't. Isn't a site
the same thing in pure zope3 and grok?

Tim