[Grok-dev] Re: What is an application?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 13 07:50:32 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Tim Terlegård wrote:
[snip]
>> Yes, you can do this. Is anyone ever going to make a site that
>> doesn't contain any objects? I guess people will always have to
>> change grok.Model to grok.Container in app.py. Couldn't we make
>> this the default?
>
> You can still make a site contain objects and not be a container if
> you use custom traversers.
>
> It's a good point though; in most cases I imagine people will use the
>  container model for an application as that tends to be more
> convenient. If you need control panels for utilities, you'd probably
> prefer to place the utilities directly in the container as well.

I've thought about this some more, and I think we should consider making
grok.Application be a container by default for the reasons stated above.

For the special case where the application should *not* be a container,
we should provide a grok.ModelApplication base class or something like that.

What do people think?