[Grok-dev] Heads up: applyChanges in EditForms changed

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Thu Mar 15 16:49:36 EDT 2007

Hi All,

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 20:51 +0100, Tim Terlegård wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 02:29:15PM -0400, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> >
> > - I renamed applyChanges to apply_changes to match our PEP8 fetish
>
> If I reuse zope3 stuff in my grok application I will have to mix styles.
> The new style is nice as long as you only use that style, but grok
> has a pretty close relationship to zope3. There will be plenty of zope3
> packages available as time goes by (there already is) and I hope we don't
> want to port them all to grok. This means grok users will have to reuse
> zope3 packages and then will have to mix styles and will be confused of
> what is grok and what is zope3.
>
> What about getUtility, will grok have get_utility?
>
> This means that grok can't build on top of Zope and inherit from Zope
> classes and expose those methods, grok has to have its own classes and
> methods for everything. It further means that grok isn't just "convention
> over configuration" and "getting rid of zcml", it's more of a completely
> new rapid web platform that uses zope3 only for its implementation.
>
> I would have hoped for more compatibility with zope3. Hmm...
>
> Tim

I dunno Tim. I'm all for fetishes and convention. I recently discovered
pylint (zope3-users list) and tried it out on my tfws package. Ugly but
enlightening. But not too much effort will be required to improve the
result. In my case the most camelCase vs not_camel_case came from
z3c.language.switch.I18n.

getUtility didn't figure because it is a zope deferredimport and pylint
complained:  Module 'zope.component' has no 'getUtility' member.

+1 for the fetish.

Sincere regards,
Darryl