[Grok-dev] Re: Heads up: Renamed AddForm to Form

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Mar 16 11:19:59 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>  From the commit log message:
>
> - Renamed grok.AddForm to grok.Form because there was no additional
>   functionality in that base class that was specific to adding. Yes, it
>   used formlib's AddForm, but none of the features that has to make
>   adding objects easy for you were used (adding objects in Zope 3 is
>   overly complicated anyway, thanks to IAdding). Everybody writing add
>   forms was writing his/her own actions anyway, which is exactly what
>   the point of a general grok.Form base class is.

While I suport the reasons for grok.Form, I think it would be nice to
reestablish grok.AddForm, and make it just be a grok.Form (at least for
now).

Some reasons:

* using grok.AddForm in your own code when you need to make an add form
communicates intent better than just grok.Form.

* I can imagine it might be useful for introspection eventually in
something like an admin UI (give me all add forms for this object).

* we might at some point add a few helper methods on grok.AddForm that
does make it different from grok.Form

I think the first reason is the most important one.