[Grok-dev] Portlets (and maybe other skinning).

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 03:21:18 EDT 2007

On 2/4/07, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, some sort of portlets system would be needed. Does anything
> (except the overworked and presumably now dead cpsskins for zope3)
> exist?

I'd like to re-raise this issue, as this is the major hurdle in Grok
going from a good idea to something I can actually use.

I still need some way of getting portlets/viewlets imposed on pages
made with grok. Since the standard in grok today is to not call a
master macro, this somehow has to be forced upon the pages from the
outside during rendering. At the moment, I have no good ideas of how
to do that.

I can't use any WSGI middleware for this, evidently, as the
viewlets/portlets need to be rendered with a context.

Sure, I could override grok.View.__call__, but if you then subclass
grok.View and provide your own call, that doesn't work either.

I can implement a new publisher that renders the portlets and puts it
into the rendered output. But that puts it into all views, not just
the ones made with Grok. That gets kinda weird, as I would get the
portlets also, for example, in the ZMI. That's not a problem if we
decide to throw the ZMI out completely, and replace the default skins
with something essentially empty.

This issue is closely connected to the issue of skinning, as skinning
could be one way of getting portlets into the output. But I can design
the site with Deliverance, so I don't actually need skinning. Just
portlets/viewlets/whateveryoucallit.

Ideas?

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64