[Grok-dev] Re: shortcut to methods

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Mar 19 15:05:20 EDT 2007

On 19 Mar 2007, at 13:00 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> On 19 Mar 2007, at 12:21 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I realize that KSS offers a lot more, but I don't know much about
>>> it and we want to enable people who already know how to do ajaxy
>>> stuff to have an easy time with Grok.
>> Both of those aren't good arguments against KSS, you know :). I do
>> have something for KSS in the works, perhaps I get around
>> publishing it some time this week.
>
> I'm not arguing against KSS.
>
> I'm just saying that besides KSS (which should be in a grok
> extension, I think :),

(agreed)

> we should offer a way to do simple JSON in the core, because KSS
> does require a buy-in from people that plain AJAX doesn't require.
> No matter how great or easy KSS really is.
>
> If I come to Grok from, say, TurboGears, I can use the JSON stuff
> right away (possibly even with ToscaWidgets once we make those work
> in Zope..), but would have to think a bit more before I can start
> using KSS.

Agreed. JSON certainly is basic enough to support it from the Grok
core. My suggestion to put it in a separate package for now was so
that we can play with it and possibly other solutions (using
simplejson, jsonserver, etc.) without introducing too many
dependencies in Grok for now and without keeping Grok itself in too
much flux.