[Grok-dev] an 'about grok' document

Behrang Dadsetan bdadsetan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 22:37:37 EDT 2007

Hi Martijn,

 I have been going through the tutorial, saw the video tutorial from
Philip and I am just amazed how simple it is to build grok apps.
 Before that I played around with Zope3 but never had time to finish
the simplest CRUD :)
 Before that I used to build a few things with Zope2 and was most
amazed by the TTW programming :)

 Even though grok would not be possible without Zope3, and all the
credit for Zope3 should somehow be given back to them, I feel your
About_Grok concentrates too much on the fact it builds on top of
Zope3.

 Any one who reads the about_grok would feel it is necessary to read
about_zope3. And I think any one who reads an about_zope3 will be
overwhelmed or feel he did not get it.

I feel we need:
1- To mention that grok uses zope3 (maybe saying that it allows grok
to exist but its extensive knowledge is not necessary for simple grok
programming)
2- In the rest of the about_grok forget a little about zope3 just
mentioning the functionality
3- Keep on the great work on grok and its documentation/tutorials
4- Work on getting a proper presentation for zope3 which right now is
much less appealing than grok
5- Once Zope3 presentability has improved enough to not scare away,
take the version of the About_Grok you wrote now and override the one
mentioning less Zope3.

What do you think?

Regards
Ben.