[Grok-dev] Re: RFC: Disable zope.app.rotterdam by default

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Mar 24 13:35:50 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> If Grok should at all come with a standard_macros-style skin, I don't
>> think it should be Rotterdam. With its menus (especially the add menu)
>> it alludes to a ZMI-like or even content management-y thing of which
>> it is neither.
>>
>> Per sprint consensus, we should look into making a good-looking but
>> very limited admin UI and forget about the "ZMI" (whatever it is anyway).
>>
>> If there are no objections, I will disable at least the
>> zope.app.rotterdam package in grok and grokproject from now on.
>
> +1 from me.

Cool. I'll go ahead and do that.

> Ideally, we disable just about any template-based view that
> Zope 3 currently provides. I fear that will not be easily possible however.

Not that easily at least.

Since we do custom traversal anyway, we could just use a more explicit
way of looking up views (e.g. providing IGrokView instead of just
Interface). This would work on at least all grok.Model / grok.Container
subclasses where our custom traversers apply. Then you wouldn't be able
to look up any browser page that was registered using the <browser:page
/> ZCML directive, only grok views.

With an additional traverser for all other objects we should also be
able to do away with <browser:pages /> on all other objects, most
importantly the root folder and site managers (those are pretty much the
only non-Grok objects that we use).

Note that Jim has been wanting to make view look up more explicit in
Zope 3 for a long time (there it would probably mean IBrowserPage).