[Grok-dev] Re: heading layout on website

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Fri Mar 30 00:24:48 EDT 2007

> I believe that Kevin was editing the html directly.

Yup, I was just plunking around with static HTML files locally, and
then rsyncing to the server. Old skool CMS :)

For the creative intent of g.z.o, I am happy with the initial design,
but I think there is still lots of polish and improvements that can
be made. Please feel free to implement and fixes or general
improvements as you see fit. If some things still look a bit wonky,
it's probably just because it's not finished and not by design ;P

Some ideas that I was thinking about doing to improve the design:

  * Fixing up the URLs, e.g. /docs/tutorial feels much nicer to me
than /tutorial.html

  * Splitting the Tutorial into multiple pages - it feels very
overwhelming and intimidating as one big page. The addition of the
sub-heads helps a lot already. The PDF idea is great! For a text of
this length I think a lot of people will prefer to print it  out

  * Enhanced navigation:

    - breadcrumbs across the top as we start adding more content

   - Navigational sidebar for sub-pages or for the "Contents" section
of the Tutorial. I was thinking about a design that looked like stone
slabs - although would be tricky to implement.

   - Stone corners for the main layout - I think I like the web site
being fairly caveman themed as opposed to say a more clean,
straightforward layout. However, if we keep the main contents having
the stone corners, the images could use a do-over and be made to look
better

   * Enhanced header: The primary navigation bar across the top and
the Grok header stills feels very rough. There are lots of ways this
could be improved.

     I was thinking about something like carved-out-of-stone
navigation tabs using a technique like this:

     http://alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/

      Then the stone slabs could be made to look like they are have
had a field of grass growing over them and finally Grok appears to be
resting on the grass. That's fairly ambitous, and in the end it might
just look wonky - but I think we could make the header look better
somehow :)

   * Grok logo: I like the current Grok typeface. I was thinking
about taking the crosshatched pattern from Grok's tunic and applying
it to the orange part of the lettering the logo - I think that could
look worthy of an official Grok logo?

   * Web badges: Powered By Grok and I like the Django "I wish this
site were powered by Grok" badge idea.

Hopefully I'll get some time to play with some of these ideas in the
not too distant future, but right now I've got to see about getting
php Point of Sale integrated with a Plone site ... trying hard not to
rewrite phpPOS in Grok ... :)