[Grok-dev] Re: ANN: megrok.quarry

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri May 4 16:20:01 EDT 2007

David Pratt wrote:
> Hi Kevin. I am interested in which grok components will be able to be to
> be used directly in Zope 3 so that security within the Zope 3 app
> remains explicit.

Right now Grok doesn't support this use case, but we're actively doing
work on making this possible. That is, grok is going to be split up in
various sub-components, some of which will be safe to use with Zope 3.
grok will still remain grok however - the public API of grok won't be
affected, it will just depend on various sub-packages which can also be
used separately.

After this refactoring it should be possible to make many grok
extensions depend on grokcore.component. This doesn't mess with security
(grok itself does that) but implements basic grokkers like adapter
registration, etc.

Before this is done a lot more work will need to be performed, however.
I myself have started work on martian, which aims to abstract about the
basic grokking logic into a generic library that doesn't need zope
(perhaps just zope.interface). Things like grokcore.component can then,
hopefully, directly depend on martian. After martian is complete we need
to start moving various grokkers outside of the grok into the grokcore
packages.

So the answer is, not right now. In time this will happen. Help is, as
always, appreciated. :)