[Grok-dev] Re: Benefits of Grok -- please contribute

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Mon May 14 14:45:03 EDT 2007

Grok is Zope 3, so it leverages the ZODB. This has *very* important
consequences for an evaluator.

On 5/13/07, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
> o Ease of learning and speed of development

ZODB helps *a lot* here

> o Low risk of getting tied in, in terms of decent integration with other
> packages

ZODB is a real drag here.

> o Ability to migrate to other platforms later,

Again, use of the ZODB does not help at all.

Don't get me wrong. I am addicted to programming persistent objects on
the ZODB, and I think Zope 3 with Grok offers the best way of doing
it. In Zope 2 it was too hard to persist your own objects in way that
played well with the rest of the framework; Archetypes made it easier,
but at a very high price in terms of black magic.

But as we consider how to "sell" Grok, the fact that we have the ZODB
is a double-edged knife.

Ideally, it should be simple to start any project on the ZODB and
later switch to a relational dababase back-end, with as little pain as
possible.

> It's different - e.g., aspect orientation (adapters) and persistence (no
> RDBMS).

I like this very much. I believe most web programmers are not really
happy using the tools they have, so these key differences should be
emphasized.

Cheers,

Luciano