[Grok-dev] Re: Benefits of Grok -- please contribute

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed May 16 17:11:21 EDT 2007

Hey,

Martin Aspeli wrote:
[snip]
>>> This isn't so much about "you could do it" - there are an infinite
>>> number of ways you could do it. It's about promoting some patterns,
>>> that have been properly thought through and are known to work with
>>> the other patterns people use in Grok.
>>
>> Exactly. That's what Grok should be about.
>
> I like the idea of an "opinionated" framework, though I think Rails
> maybe stole that one. ;-)

Right. The Rails people have rather hyped the stuffing out of that, and
now at least DHH is getting some backlash against his opinionatedness.

Luckily in the Python world we've had a design principle for many years
that fits quite nicely here:

"There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."

Let's use this one instead of the word "opinionated".