[Grok-dev] Re: Do these pictograms make sense?

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Thu May 17 02:45:17 EDT 2007

The copywriter within me would cry, but I can consider being
pragmatic. :)

The problem with the word "Community" is that it is used in very
different ways. Mysql uses it in the sense commercial/community
version. Social networking sites use it in the sense of user profiles
+ interaction -- the people and what they do.

I still think we should retain a structure that corresponds to the
phases the developer goes through. Think of it as developer life
cycle. You first evaluate, then learn enough to get started, then you
develop applications and at some point he feels the need to share/
contribute back to the project.

In that sense I think community means something else. We are all part
of the community so then it would make more sense to organise the
site in content type sections:

Now: Evaluate, Learn, Develop, Share | Download

Community: Evaluation, Learning, Developer, Community | Download

Content type: Introduction, Tutorial, Documentation, Resources,
Community | Download

And I am convinced that the benefits of a life cycle approach has
many benefits, including indicating to the author what tone the
content should have.

Anyway. In the next suggestion you will understand what I am talking
about, and we can see if it all makes sense. (sometimes the code has
to do the talking... :) )

Regards Sebastian