[Grok-dev] Re: Skinning/themeing

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri May 18 17:38:24 EDT 2007

Lennart Regebro wrote:

> Sure: http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/grok-dev/2007-March/000476.html

I see! This looks very powerful and cool.

I assume we are still considering viewlets as the way of making
"pluggable" UIs, i.e. aspects of a page where you can plug in new
elements without modifying the view, and where you can vary the thing
being plugged in by context type.

Or are we thinking this is the general approach to page composition?

Also I'm not convinced that it solves the general themeing/branding
problem. The premise of Deliverance (or something like it) is that the
designer (be he the same or a different person to the one doing the
compositing and the raw development) makes a full, flat, static HTML
page (or pages) which defines "the way it should look", and then pulls
the relevant parts of the "composed" page into the correct parts that
static page. That allows them to use familiar tools (e.g. Dreamweaver)
and design a "whole" into which the application slots.

The match approach described in the email above, as I understand it, is
about defining a pipeline which post-processes the "bits" of a page
(which is of course useful for all kinds of things). It works the
opposite way to Deliverance, in that you start with a "composed" set of
markup and then selectively swap out bits of it. I can't see how someone
wearing ad designer hat would make lots of these little match classes
and template snippets to theme a page.

Martin