[Grok-dev] Re: grok.zope.org design proposal (ok, kill me...)

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri May 25 16:21:12 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> Note 1: I have considered the caveman as part of the content.
> Note 2: There are some artefacts that are obviously miscoloured
> (hint: red or purple...). Their colours will be changed.
> Note 3: Use Firefox or Safari (Internet Explorer needs some standards
> defying fixes... ;)).
> Note 4: I have tested with Firefox and Safari on a Mac, please report
> rendering bugs.
> Note 5: I have listened to all the feedback, but everything wasn't
> doable within the time constraints.
>
> http://www.urbantalk.se/DEVELOPER/grok
>
> You can click on tracks

My ten-second impression/constructive criticism:

  - layout is professional
  - structure ("tracks") are good, clear
  - I don't care too much for the yellow
  - Way, way too little contrast on buttons and headings
  - Text size/layout is fine, though there seems to be a bit too much
variation in the font sizes used
  - It's "case studies" not "case stories"

Some deeper points:

  - The inclusion of the caveman is too superficial. As I said before, I
*like* the logo, and the concept permeates the documentation and
examples. Let's build him in, not make him an afterthought

  - We need one caveman message. The way it's presented now, it says
"cavemen are stupid, this is where we try to dumb it down", which I
think is broadly negative. I'd rather we didn't attach so much meaning
to it, and just went with the theme as something light-hearted, personally.

  - Similarly, the logo and branding seems to be "Grok Zope 3". I'm not
sure we all agreed on that, and it's a decision that at least we ought
to vote on a few different proposals for - for the final version of
course, I realise you've just gone with what you have.

All in all, I think you're doing a great job, and I'm very impressed by
your dedication and enthusiasm. :)

Martin