[Grok-dev] Re: grok.zope.org design proposal (ok, kill me...)

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Fri May 25 18:21:39 EDT 2007

25 maj 2007 kl. 22.21 skrev Martin Aspeli:

> Sebastian Ware wrote:
>> Note 1: I have considered the caveman as part of the content.
>> Note 2: There are some artefacts that are obviously miscoloured
>> (hint: red or purple...). Their colours will be changed.
>> Note 3: Use Firefox or Safari (Internet Explorer needs some
>> standards  defying fixes... ;)).
>> Note 4: I have tested with Firefox and Safari on a Mac, please
>> report  rendering bugs.
>> Note 5: I have listened to all the feedback, but everything
>> wasn't  doable within the time constraints.
>> http://www.urbantalk.se/DEVELOPER/grok
>> You can click on tracks
>
> My ten-second impression/constructive criticism:
>
>  - layout is professional
>  - structure ("tracks") are good, clear
>  - I don't care too much for the yellow
>  - Way, way too little contrast on buttons and headings
>  - Text size/layout is fine, though there seems to be a bit too
> much variation in the font sizes used
>  - It's "case studies" not "case stories"

Is it the colour yellow you don't like or do you find this yellow too
washed out? (all the colours are rendering more vividly in Photoshop
so this might need some touch ups)

Case Stories was more of a conceptual idea of writing fun Case
Studies -- more stories than studies :)

> Some deeper points:
>
>  - The inclusion of the caveman is too superficial. As I said
> before, I *like* the logo, and the concept permeates the
> documentation and examples. Let's build him in, not make him an
> afterthought

I found it very difficult to integrate the original caveman into a
design idea that I could realise with any degree of quality. This is
partly because of my personal limitations but also because the art
work is made in such a way that it doesn't play very well with web
design. Someone else might be able to pull this off better though.

So i thought it would be better to keep the caveman as a way to liven
up the content. :)

>  - We need one caveman message. The way it's presented now, it says
> "cavemen are stupid, this is where we try to dumb it down", which I
> think is broadly negative. I'd rather we didn't attach so much
> meaning to it, and just went with the theme as something light-
> hearted, personally.

I should have been a bit clearer on the fact that the text is only
there to give a sense of the formatting. By bad. :)

>  - Similarly, the logo and branding seems to be "Grok Zope 3". I'm
> not sure we all agreed on that, and it's a decision that at least
> we ought to vote on a few different proposals for - for the final
> version of course, I realise you've just gone with what you have.

What I wanted to show was that the association between Grok and Zope3
could be presented in a simple and natural way. I strongly believe
that Zope3 is one of the major competitive advantages of Grok. But, I
agree, no decision has been made regarding this.

> All in all, I think you're doing a great job, and I'm very
> impressed by your dedication and enthusiasm. :)

Thank's :) Still, it is a design proposal :)

Regards Sebastian