[Grok-dev] Re: AJAX example for Uli using Mochikit and HTML-injection

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat May 26 07:04:04 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> This is what it looks like in action:
>
>    http://www.urbantalk.se/DEVELOPER/tvsk

Just FYI, in terms of Ajax in Zope 3, we have:

  - KSS (http://kssproject.org), which is what powers AJAX in Plone 3.
This is designed so that it works in "pure Zope 3". This is a bit
"different" in that you generally don't write Java Script at all. Take a
look at the demos on that website to see what I mean. I know Philipp did
some work with KSS in Grok a while ago.

  - jQuery is being used by z3c.form, apparently.

  - Some things in the z3c.widgets package uses Prototype. Note sure how
widely used they are, though.

The problem with JS solutions is that you can't just pick and choose for
different applications. Using more than one AJAX library simultaneously
sometimes leads to conflicts, quite likely causes inconsistent
UI/look-and-feel and almost certainly bloats the page download size and
increases page load time.

There was a huge debate prior to Plone 3, about a year ago, about
whether to use KSS (which we went with in the end) or Bling (which is
just a way of using Prototype in page templates). I really don't want to
have that debate again, but it's important to pick carefully.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress