[Grok-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Introducing Wandering Books, Kirbi and Luciano

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Mon May 28 07:48:15 EDT 2007

On 5/28/07, Jodok Batlogg <jodok at lovelysystems.com> wrote:
> our team is working on a books application in zope3 too :)
> it's about exposing your bookshelf to other users, find
> recommendations, reviews,...

Excellent! The world needs more of those. At some point it would be
interesting if they interoperated. For example, real libraries
regularly exchange catalog records. That is one area where all such
sites could collaborate for the benefit of all.

On the other hand, the Kirbi system wants to focus on book lending,
which is a feature that many book recomendation sites either don't
have or have in a very limited way. To me, it is a crucial aspect.

In a developing country like Brazil, where a Java book can cost 10% of
a programmers starting sallary and public libraries are scarce and
underfunded, increased book lending among friends and colleagues could
have a great impact.

By the way, I don't know if you knew about the Five Laws of Library
Sciences [1], but they are the perfect guide to every decision one has
to make when developing a system like this:

1. Books are for use.
2. Every person his or her book.
3. Every book its reader.
4. Save the time of the reader.
5. The library is a growing organism.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_laws_of_library_science

Kirbi was inspired by the First Law.

> http://www.lovelybooks.com / http://www.lovelybooks.de / http://
> www.lovelybooks.es

Very nice! I just tried to create an account for me, but a system
error ocurred when processing
http://www.lovelybooks.com/@@register.html. I know it's beta. Let me
know how I can help you test it.

> lovely systems is definitely interested in exchanging experience,
> code,... with you.

Very nice offer, Jodok. I am very interested as well.

Cheers,

Luciano