[Grok-dev] Re: Organizing the further development effort

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 28 08:59:56 EDT 2007

Uli Fouquet wrote:
[snip good discussion on layout and graphics]
>> I would also be interested in discussing the use of AJAX in the
>> admin. I have used a really simple method myself (with the help of
>> Mochikit) which gives excellent degradation for browsers without
>> Javascript and hardly requires any AJAXification of the underlying code.
>
> Ooh, well, why not? I had no plans for AJAX-support yet, but what you
> say sounds promising. And some more AJAX-experiences would improve the
> documentation as well. So let's do it if we can agree on the following
> three rules of thumb: (1) every functionality of the interface should be
> accessible also with a non-Javascript browser. (2) Functionality should
> go before comfort: First make it work, then make it work nicely. This
> means, that I would insert AJAXification as a stage-2 task into my todo
> list (keeping it always in mind during stage 1). (3) If Martijn, Philipp
> or Christian say no, then it won't happen (well, at least in public;-).
> But I am sure, that people (including myself) would appreciate some
> AJAXification - and the nicest interface on the planet can hardly cope
> without it ;-) Any objections from the list?

I agree with this way of approaching things. First make it work in a
non-Ajax setting, then enhance it with Ajax.

> Your experiences with Mochikit might be very helpful for me. I never
> tried it before, but everthing you tell about it sounds very promising.
> May I contact you via PM?

I also have experience with Ajax and MochiKit, so you can have a second
opinion. From what Sebastian is saying his approach might be quite
similar to mine - basically just have a URL that generates parts of the
page, and in a non-ajax setting, include this on the server side, and in
an Ajax setting, include it on the client side. In form situation this
involves handling form submits with normal POSTs in non-AJAX, and
handling it with a POST to the page-bit URL through Javascript.