[Grok-dev] Re: Implementing an N-to-N relationship

Viðar Svansson vidarsvans at gmail.com
Tue May 29 06:03:04 EDT 2007

Hi Luciano and greetings to Grok!

As Martijn mentioned, I am working on Genesis. We figured that Grok
might take care of some of the heavy duty code for us with the grokkers.

On 5/28/07, Luciano Ramalho <luciano at ramalho.org> wrote:

> On 5/28/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> > We don't have a relationship system for Grok. Yet. This is something I'm
> > personally quite interested in as well. If this is going to come up a
> > lot with your project, I'd be happy if you did some work on this. :)

My guess is that relationships will pop up frequently in Grok applications.
Personally, I have not studied the differences between the packages but
it would be great if we could agree on what direction to take. Same applies
to form packages.

The Creator-Book example is the only N-to-N relationship in the Kirbi
> model so far, but it is a crucial one for decent metadata
> representation. I also think it is a nice example because everyone
> understands about books and authors, or movies and actors.

It looks like your application would be a great case study for my project.
I am currently looking at existing code and see how it maps to models,
this makes the development of the generator a whole lot easier than
predicting how unwritten code should look like :)

I will study zc.relationship and come back with my impressions/questions.

[snip]

> Looking forward to hearing from Vidar

I think I will keep an eye on your project as I might benefit a lot from it.
In UML this relationship would just be undirected association, ArchGenXML
tells Archetypes that this is a relation and is done with it.

Best,
Vidar Svansson