[Grok-dev] Re: newbie question: megrok.five status

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Nov 12 12:26:06 EST 2007

kevin gill wrote:
> Is the megrok.five package still alive / valid?

No.

> I had a look in http://svn.zope.org, and it is not listed (it is listed if
> you give a revision: http://svn.zope.org/?rev=78965). I assume that this
> means it is either moved, merged or deleted ( I am not a subversion user
> ).

I've moved it to my Sandbox since it was an experiment and never
considered for anything real.

> I also read in the IRC logs (21/9/2007):
>
> philiKON	timte: megro.five is dead	16:59
> philiKON	timte: but i have plans for something else	16:59
>
> There are a number of posts on zope-dev recommending using Grok instead of
> ZClasses. Am I correct to assume that this is still the position of Grok
> project or is Grok?

Well, I think back then we were suggesting to use Grok instead of
Zope2+ZClasses. We weren't suggesting to use "Zope2+Grok" (if such a
thing existed).

> Should I continue to investigate Grok for a Zope2 site?

I think the Grok mechanism and approach would be great for Zope 2
applications. However, I don't think it should and will look exactly
like Grok. That said, we're working towards making it possible to use
Grok's mechanisms for registering various types of components
independently of the Grok web application framework itself. Then people
can work on integrating those into a "Grok for Zope 2" or "Grok for
Plone" or whatever (they should have different names, obviously).