[Grok-dev] Re: static versus Zope 3's directory resources

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Nov 24 15:26:30 EST 2007

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> Darryl Cousins wrote:
>> This is pretty much how mars.resource works
>>
>> http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/darrylcousins/mars.resource/src/mars/resource/README.txt?rev=77833&view=markup
>>

>> Note that I haven't worked on the mars packages for some time (lack of
>> time and not lack of enthusiasm).
>>
>> The mars packages grew from a desire to make use of z3c packages.
>
> To what extend do others think resources and resource
> directories should be part of Grok itself? Or is putting
> support for these in addon packages just as good?
>
> (personally I think it could very well be in Grok itself.)

Both :).

I think we want to split up Grok for it to be more modular. This is a
perfect example of a single, self-contained piece of functionality that
makes sense to be shipped with *and* without Grok.

I would personally like to tackle to split-up of Grok pretty soon. I've
done an experiment a while back already and it worked well. The lessons
learned have been incorporated into the 0.11 release already. My plans
are to start with splitting off the ZCML directive implementation and
the registration of core components (adapters, utilities, subscribers)
before the year is over...