[Grok-dev] Re: The Google Highly Open Participation Contest

Jan Ulrich Hasecke janulrich.hasecke at web.de
Thu Nov 29 02:55:48 EST 2007

Hi Philipp,

Am 29.11.2007 um 01:09 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:

> It should only be a matter of an hour or two to get the software
> running (see below).

Thanks for these hints. I played around with IShowU and I think I
will buy it.

I had made a screencast with an other product with postproduction in
Garageband and iMovie and had to fight with the encoding adjustments.
This is really tricky, if you do not know what is the best
compression and encoding combination. And still I am not satisfied
with the technical quality. I hope that IShowU will make this easier.

http://www.hasecke.eu/Members/juh/scrivener-screencast-how-to-export-
to-latex-1

>> Unfortunately this is the only Grok task.
>> I am not sure whether it is still possible to submit new tasks to
>> the contest, the google page is not very userfriendly. Are there
>> any other possible Grok tasks, which a young student can complete
>> within five days? Maybe writing a small tutorial, writing a small
>> test, doing documentation?
>
> Getting the reference online is a huge documentation todo item. I
> have no idea how far Uli and JW are on this by now...
>
> Another idea would be to simply extend the existing tutorial. It
> doesn't cover forms or indexing/searching yet, for instance. I
> think Luciano improved the tutorial already in a branch, perhaps
> that can finally be merged to the trunk and improved/finalized.
>
> Naturally, anything that helps with the docs would be greatly
> appreciated. I must admit, screencasts are very cool and they help
> promote stuff :).

This is what I think of. But as far as I understand the rules, the
tasks must be concrete and there must be a mentor for the task.
Anyone willing to do so?

But at first we shall contace google and ask, if we can add task
after the contest started.

One task could be to run the tutorials in the new grok site with 0.11
or higher to see if they work.

Another to write a tutorial for some feature or to complete a tutorial.

And then at last the screencast task I mentioned could be split up
into several screencast for different highlights.

Does anybody know, who posted the task to the contest?