[Grok-dev] Re: Admin UI name change suggestion

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 11:43:03 EDT 2007

(I make it a seperate discussion thread).
(My initial posting thru gmane got lost apparently)

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Sebastian Ware wrote:
>> Martijn blogged:
>>
>> "Work is being done to extend and improve the Grok admin UI, in
particular to show information about which views are available for a
content object. Also one of our conclusions of these discussions is
that "admin UI" is not a very good name. It's really a UI dedicated to
serving developers while they develop a Grok-based application. We
haven't figured out a good new name for this yet."

>> And in that context, how about calling it the Grok Dashboard?
>
> To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think we should not require the admin UI to create application objects. The admin UI is great, but mostly because of Uli's extensions.
>
> I've shown Grok to many newcomers now (13 people just this week) and most are completely confused by it. Brandon and Shane seemed to have made similar experiences. I've come to the conclusion that Grok should make the grok.Application subclass the root object of the ZODB, or at least create them automatically.
>
> This would "reduce" the admin UI to be a pure inspection and documentation tool, which I think is what it is best at. It can simply focus on that instead of trying to be too many things.

I agree with these observations, *however*, there needs to be a way to
make "taking over the zope root" optionally in a very easy way: I
forsee people do want to have multiple applications running in a Zope
instance - I know I will need this option.

Maybe we can introduce a grok.ApplicationRoot that will "take over"
the zope root, where grok.Application retains the current behaviour?

regards,
jw

--
Jan-Wijbrand Kolman