[Grok-dev] Re: an application installation script?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Oct 5 06:35:16 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> [snip]
>> I would prefer if
>>
>> * the grok.Application subclass were the root object by default,
>> without having to do an extra step (when I start out, there's usually
>> just one application anyay). Flexibility is nice, but Grok is all
>> about making sensible choices for you, at least in the beginning.
>
> How do you know which application to pick?

The default one that grokproject creates, of course. It would be
configurable in the WSGI app startup code, which could read a setting
from deploy.ini.

>> * the choices of which root object was installed was somehow tied to
>> the application startup process, "applictaion" referring to the WSGI
>> application. I think it should be a choice of the WSGI app factory.
>> This is much like other web frameworks deal with choosing "the
>> application" too.
>
> It should be done somewhere between the end of the buildout and the
> first application startup to make this work.

I'm not sure what buildout has to do with it. Of course it happens
during the first application startup. That's why I think it should be a
setting in the app startup code/configuration. Which is the Pastedeploy
configuration file (called deploy.ini in zopeproject).

> Anyway, I'm fine with improvements to make some of this stuff possible,
> but not at the cost of throwing away the features we have now in the
> admin UI.

Agreed.