[Grok-dev] Re: an application installation script?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Oct 5 09:36:31 EDT 2007

Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> writes:
[snip]
> Well, okay, maybe I could; I could open browser windows to the two
> apps (":8080/myapp1" and ":8080/myapp2", say), and then two editors,
> and with each "zopectl fg" I could hit "reload" on both browsers, and
> then go edit both bits of source code to fix my next problem or add
> the next button.  And, given the amount of time Grok requires to
> start, I might actually save time this way, by spreading the app
> startup time over two development sessions at once rather than one at
> a time. :-)
>
> But, is this really going to be a common case?

Multiple test instances of the *same* application is likely going to be
a common case; at least, it's quite common during Zope 2 development. Of
different applications, probably not. (that's not to say we shouldn't
explore the Django patterns surrounding coarse grained components which
they call applications, as far as I understand)

For the beginner development scenario, I think it would be very helpful
if you could see a user interface as soon as you look at Grok's web UI,
first. This UI then exposes various common operations (install,
reinstall, delete, show broken objects, look at the application itself,
look the introspector for the application).

It does make sense to me to make the common case easy: to have an
application installed right away, and a clear blinking arrow in the UI
pointing to it: "this is your application!" :)