[Grok-dev] Re: grok_component gone after actions refactoring?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Oct 10 08:29:52 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I saw Philipp making a lot of progress on configuration actions. That's
> good, but in the process he removed grok_component saying it doesn't
> make much sense anymore. Whoah! This was a very important reason for me
> to do the Martian refactoring in the first place!

I see.

> Since grok_component is very useful and used by myself in various places
> (so that this change will break my code), I wonder what can be used
> instead. I want the ability to grok individual components in doctests,
> without having to set up a fixture in a separate module and then grok this.

Yeah, that makes sense. I actually changed my mind between then and now,
and grok_component isn't that non-sensical anymore :). I brought it
back, with the original tests passing just fine.

I will explain my refactorings in an email to the list soon.

> If this is replaced by some other set of calls, please *rewrite* the
> existing test for grok_component to do the new thing. Don't just get rid
> of it.

Understood. Thanks for noticing.

I do think, however, that grok_component should move to grok.tests since
it's really meant for testing. Especially the way it's currently
implemented. Would that be ok with you?