[Grok-dev] Redux: Grok actions and grok.grok() cleanup

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Oct 27 12:52:19 EDT 2007

I've now finished Godefroid's and my work on introducing configuration
actions for all grokkers and cleaning up the grok.grok() mechanism to
allow for an easier split-up of grok in the near future.

The details have already been described in a previous email [1]. The
only visible change since then has been that grok.grok() and
grok.grok_component() have moved to the grok.testing module, since
they're intended purely for (unit)tests.

A not-so-visible change, but important for a clean split-up, is the
removal of the bootstrap mechanism in grok.grok(). The bootstrap
mechanism would configure things common to all Grok applications, such
as 'index' being the default view for models and containers. This setup
has nothing to do with the grokking mechanism itself, though, so it has
now simply moved to Grok's configure.zcml. That means it's still an
integral part of Grok's component setup, and therefore available for all
Grok applications, but it's not an integral part of the grokking process
anymore.

Please test your applications with this branch [2]. Everything should
continue to work. If not, please let me know a.s.a.p. I'd like to get
this merged some time during next week (I'm thinking Wednesday because
that's when I'll likely have some time).

[1] http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/grok-dev/2007-October/002772.html
[2] svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/grok/branches/gotcha-configuration-actions